Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Oreo Pops!

Here's another very easy DIY that's perfect as a little gift or if you're hosting an event.  

Oreo Pops! 


All you need are:  
  • Oreos
  • Sticks
  • Wilton's Candy Melts in any color
You can buy candy melts here or at Michael's : http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=pg_candymelts


I followed the instructions on the candy melts to melt them in the microwave.  I couldn't figure out the defrost setting so instead I put them in the microwave for a minute on half power.  Then I microwaved them twice for 30 seconds on half power and they seemed perfect.  Stirring between each microwave heating seems essential.

I then put the oreos on the sticks.  This was really simple and doesn't require explanation, but I took pictures anyways.



Ta-Da! Now all they need is to be frosted.


I found that the knife was easier to put candy on the flat sides of the oreo but that the spoon was easier to put it on the round edges.  They look the best when the whole thing is covered, and it keeps it together better.  

Then I held them for a couple seconds [probably half a minute] to help them harden and stuck them on a cookie sheet covered in wax paper.  When I was finished with all the oreos [I had to melt and remelt the candy melts several times] I put the whole tray in the fridge to help it harden.

Then I assembled them in a cute fashion and wrote on them with icing.
[See puff painting blog]



I didn't have a tray available, but paper plates did the trick! My mom had some leftover cellophane too so we tied that around it with a ribbon.

These are DELICIOUS. The vanilla flavor of the candy melts goes soooo well with the oreos.  I think they might be easier  to "frost" with a double boiler instead of the microwave method.  Using  that method you may just be able to dip the whole oreo into it.

Also you can decorate these a million ways! Sprinkles, different colors of candy melts, different designs, the possibilities are endless! They cost me about $6 to make and I was able to make I think about 24 oreos out of the 30 pack.  I didn't buy real oreos either, because you can't really tell with the candy coating anyways.  Buying fake oreos saved me about $2. 






As always, thank you so much for reading and take care!
♥Riley






No comments:

Post a Comment