Friday, January 3, 2014

Felt Christmas Tree Decorations!

I recently passed the 1,000 pageview mark! :]  This is extremely exciting!
Thank you all for your support and interest, and remember to subscribe! :) 

For today's craft, I'm feeling Christmassy!  I've decided that I want to make some ugly Christmas sweaters/vests this year and thought I'd get started! Btw, when I say "ugly" I mean "tacky".  I love the overdecorated! 

Anyways, I thought I'd start the holidays off with a felt Christmas tree! It would be perfect for an addition to a sweater or a vest, or even on it's own, hanging on a wall! 

You will need:

  • A sheet of a light colored felt, 25-33 cents at local craft stores
  • A sheet of a dark colored felt, 25-33 cents at local craft stores
  • Hot glue, tacky glue, or fabric glue
  • Scissors
  • Pen, or something to mark with
All in all, this craft will probably cost less than $1 if you have some craft supplies in your home.

You can make your tree parts any shape, but I chose to do this sort of wonky shape.  I think it's really cute.
Then I just placed my first wonky shape on to another piece of felt and outlined what I wanted it to look like.
Leave enough space on the top to glue it to the next piece.  I chose to use alternating colors, but you could use the same color or all different colors!  I thought it might be cute to use some white felt, to look like snow!

Keep repeating these steps until you have the desired size of your Christmas tree!

This is what mine looked like after I had all the parts together.  Ignore my dog in the background...


I also contemplated making it look even more wonky by making the levels look more topsy-turvy.


This is what the back looked like after I had started gluing.  I made little arrows to show where they would come together, but that's totally optional.  I tried using fabric glue but found it to be utterly useless with the felt.  I ended up using tacky glue and put heavy books on top of them.  If I were to do this craft again I would choose to use hot glue.  It seems to be very effective with felt.

This is all I had used of the two pieces of felt when I was done.
This was what my finished tree looks like! On my leg to show size.  I love my little tree.  You can decorate them any way you want to! I chose to leave it like this and glue it to my vest.

Let me know if you ended up doing this craft! I'd love to see your interpretation.

♥ Riley

P.S. Sorry for how late this post is, I have been very sick.


No comments:

Post a Comment